Thursday, January 26, 2017

Hottest 100 | Australia/Invasion Day | Predictions


Taking a break from this week's fantastic feature album from Austra and Future Politics, it's Hottest 100 day and maybe the last to be held on Australia Day (26 Jan).



So I already revealed my 200 best songs of 2016 over the holiday period, if you were away, having fun on school holidays, abroad, family commitments well you can revisit here:

1-100

101-200

Do you agree with my choices? Basically unlike the Hottest 100, I was living in the moment of 2016 and worked on this list in late 2016. Thinking back to the start of the year and every piece of music released till late/mid December.

No last minute hype songs, no hashtag campaigns just based on sales, quality of the song and hype I heard was around about the song/artist. Of course 2016 belonged to Australian music. Triple J ahead of today's countdown has already announced 66% of the countdown is Australian.

I love Triple J's Hottest 100 but hate the Like a Versions and other novelty style songs which now help fill the countdown.

I love a cover as much as anyone but I think the countdown should be based solely on commercially or online released songs.

Anyway the Hottest 100 is still the best and biggest musical countdown worldwide.

So my predictions, Flume should do well, unfortunately Sia no longer fits in Triple J's playlist and Amy Shark and Tash Sultana are getting a lot of heat. And not to mention Summer Anthem and last week's Fresh Friday #1 PNAU and Chameleon stand to do well.

The Guardian yesterday along weighing in on "alternative facts" produced a piece on my above statements.

I hope an Australian takes out number one but along with a lot of musicians and maybe even some Triple J staff (now and former) I think the Hottest 100/Australia Day maybe should just be moved until the last Friday of January. Whatever that date may be. That way there will be no sickies like tomorrow will undoubtably bring, no mid week Hottest 100 parties and ALL Australians can enjoy Summer and celebrating what makes this nation great.

Music and being together.

That is my say, enjoy today's countdown, enjoy my lists above and this Friday I will share with you this week's best tunes LIVE on Friday and another Summer Music List will be published on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment