Sunday, March 9, 2014

Pharrell is the FUTURE!


Australia the Festival season is done, Summer is gone and the sniffer dogs are being shipped off to the large airports around this fine brown land. Yes Future Music Festival marks the end of the large Festival run over Summer is this fine joint.

Of course the terrific Groovin the Moo event is on the way soon so if your a regional folk, get ready!

So SMH has printed a rather bland account for Future whereas News.com.au has done the complete opposite (weird huh?), I wonder what Miranda Divine would think about Future Music Festival?

So onto my account of two (and a half - Album of the Year nominated Rudimental) acts here I go:

Pharrell has always in my eyes been wonderful, that said when I saw his group N*E*R*D at a large room in Sydney I was a little disappointed. But I went in after the release of G I R L wanting big things. He delivered to a degree. A half an hour slot for a man who has created more number one hits than the Voice, The X Factor and Idol put together it was just not enough time. So to Future Music - 3 hours for Pharrell in 2015.

His mix up of past hits and collaborations felt a little lazy since he has just had some terrific hits including "Happy", "Marilyn Monroe" & "Hunter". Of course he completed his set with "Happy" but still G I R L is a full bodied terrific piece of work.

Australia has embraced Pharrell, his production and his featured tracks over many years. So again he did a decent job for a 30 minute set, he did need at least one hour but with the crowd singing, grinding and letting loose it was a fun 30 minutes with the man of the moment right now.

Now to Macklemore and Ryan Lewis who if you read the SMH article above did peak early but I enjoyed "Thrift Shop", "White Walls", "Wing$", "Can't Hold Us" & "Same Love". "Same Love" was very emotive for me, it really is a great song with real meaning and a statement to hip hop and politicians world wide.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis did mess around a bit but delivered their big big five and seemed to have a great time whilst on stage.

Prior to leaving the now trashed Royal Randwick Racecourse I checked in on "Free" and some of "Hell Could Freeze" (less Angel Haze) at the Safari stage. The songs felt a bit "lounge" for me compared to the mega doof doof across the racecourse.

A fun day and a good chance to see two of the biggest artists right now. For some more Pharrell check out this 2005 piece, it's DOPE!

I will do an opinion piece on the festival goers of today on my other blog later, so check it for a nana on a mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment